Monday, April 6, 2009

Letter: Smoker: Bring on the cigarette tax

Jump to full article: Marysville (CA) Appeal-Democrat, 2009-04-05Author: Kevin Perez ChicoPosted By: Cigs By Mail.com

Intro:
I'm a smoker, and I agree with the tax increase. According to Frank Lester, spokesman for Reynolds American, 1 in 4 smokers lives at or below the poverty line. If this is the case, I highly doubt these same people, including myself, have world-class health insurance. . . .
Smoking is addictive, no doubt, but why in the world should anyone else be responsible for the cost of my demise? At my own hands no less. Why not let us pay a higher price, so that when we finally kick the bucket, we will have made a dent, albeit a small one, in the out-of-control costs we will have left behind?
Obviously we live in a pay-as-you-go world. Why should this be any different?

No comments: